Wallrock Dampstop Thermic will help alleviate the appearance of penetrating damp on internal walls but we always recommend the root causes are also investigated and dealt with. For example penetrating damp can be caused by blocked gutters and downpipes, poor external wall condition, failing damp proof course and other local factors.
Instructions for applying Wallrock Dampstop Thermic as a damp barrier
This product has been developed to combat areas of penetrating damp that can discolour wall decor. If the whole wall is not being covered in Wallrock Dampstop Thermic, ensure the product extends a minimum of 500mm from the damp area for best results.
- Remove loose or flaky material from the wall surface as well as any projections that may rupture the Wallrock Dampstop Thermic, fill any holes with a suitable filler. The surface may need priming if excessively porous or absorbent, we recommend diluting Wallrock Dampstop Adhesive 1:1 with water to form a primer, allow to dry thoroughly.
- Brush the adhesive onto the wall over a slightly wider area than the Wallrock Dampstop Thermic strip - you will need typically 160-250ml per square metre depending on the condition of the wall. The adhesive must be applied evenly.
- Apply the Wallrock Dampstop Thermic directly to the pasted surface - black side to the wall.
NB. Using a wallpaper hanging brush carefully remove any air bubbles, brushing from the centre outwards, ensuring there are no wrinkles or air pockets remaining as they will not dissipate during the drying process.
- When applying multiple lengths we recommend butted joints are used as follows;
Ensure Wallrock Dampstop Thermic Adhesive is applied liberally and evenly at the butt joint to reduce the possibility of damp tracking through seams. This technique is adequate to combat small localised damp problems.
- In the event the maximum possible damp resistance is required we recommend 2 layers of Wallrock Dampstop Thermic are applied being careful to ensure the seams are offset with the layer beneath.
Alternatively extra resistance can be achieved by applying a single layer but overlapping at the seams by minimum 20mm. It is important to note that with this technique the contours of the overlap are likely to remain noticeable even after painting or overhanging with wallpaper.
- Once complete allow to dry thoroughly - 48 hours may be sufficient but much longer may be required as the foil surface will slow down the drying process.
- Once thoroughly dry, we recommend the treated area is thoroughly checked to ensure the Wallrock Dampstop Thermic is fully bonded. The Wallrock Dampstop Thermic foil surface can simply be painted (the surface may need priming, please ask the paint manufacturer), overhung with lining paper, insulating wallpaper or a decorative wallpaper.
For application of wallcoverings to the foil surface use only Wallrock Dampstop Thermic Adhesive.
*Please note; the foil surface is not suitable for most types of alternative adhesives. When overhanging with an additional wall covering you should continue to use the Wallrock Dampstop Thermic Adhesive and not an alternative paste, even if a specific product recommends it. This is because the Dampstop Thermic roll has a very shiny surface which other adhesives may not adhere to.
Other important advice and tips:
When applying lining paper over Wallrock Dampstop Thermic it can be applied at right angles to the Wallrock Dampstop Thermic which will guarantee seams cannot correspond with those in the Wallrock Dampstop Thermic - we strongly recommend our reinforced linings such as Wallrock Fibreliner. Applying an Insulation Liner over the Wallrock Dampstop Thermic such as Wallrock Thermal Liner, or Insulating Lining Paper Graphite+ will add a noticeable insulation effect and complete the transformation of your damp wall.
Instructions for applying Wallrock Dampstop Thermic as a Thermal Reflector
Application is exactly the same but the reflective surface works most efficiently when not covered with another wallcovering or paint. This makes the product ideal for application behind heat sources such as radiators and household appliances, where it will ensure heat that is partially absorbed by the wall is reflected into the room. The product has an A1 non-combustible core.
Warning: Take care not to allow this product to come into contact with live wires both during and after hanging, especially important because the aluminium Thermic foil is conductive.