Now that spring has arrived, it’s a great time to refresh your home with colour. To get ready for the new season, Denby have released their Life in Colour campaign to celebrate spaces that uplift our mood and reflect our personalities. Here, Richard Eaton, Design Director at Denby, will show you how to bring some colour into your home.
The changing of the seasons is a great time to rethink your home décor, and with spring approaching you might be considering making your house brighter and more colourful. As well as it being the perfect season to bring more colour into your property, it’s also a great idea to have the right palette for your space, as colours can influence our mood and offer a way to boost the atmosphere of any room.
Here, we’ll go through some of the ways that colour can impact a space, as well as some key on-trend colours to keep an eye out for in 2023.
How does colour influence our mood?
Colours can have a big impact on how we’re feeling. While there is some cultural difference in how colours are perceived and interpreted around the globe, there are some general throughlines that persist in most cultures. These are associations such as red meaning excitement, passion, love and energy; blue meaning trust, peace, tranquillity and competence; and purple meaning luxury, spirit, ambition, and spirituality (Very Well Mind). Using these associations can help you to find the perfect shades for whichever room in your house you are decorating.
It's usual in décor to use these brighter colours as accents, and to use more neutral tones for the majority of your wall space. Neutral colours like grey, off-white, white, and beige can provide a canvas on which accents using jewel tones and brighter colours can be added, Tumbledown, Avalon, and Oatmilk are very popular neutrals right now and create a versatile backdrop to many stronger hues. But you might also want to consider using paler versions of various colours: a lilac or pale blue can bring the associations of these colours without being overpowering. So, consider the feeling you want to pervade each room when planning your décor, and choose colours that can bring the desired atmosphere to the space.
Colours trends for 2023
With each new year there comes a new palette of colours in décor trends, and 2023 is no different in this respect. There are plenty of colours to choose from if you want to refresh your home with some new shades and keep it looking up-to-date. So, here is our roundup of some of the key colour trends rising in popularity this year.
Last year, sage green was very popular: it was used in kitchens, bedrooms, and living spaces to add some subtle yet distinctive colour. This year, this trend is changing, and while green is still desirable, the trend is now focused on moss green; try Pepper Tree, or Rock Samphire for deeper green tones providing a fantastic accent for any room.
A new, subtler shade of red is on the horizon, and it’s raspberry. The pink, berry undertone of this shade is great for introducing red into a décor palette without it being overpowering or making a room darker. Many times, using crimson or deep reds can make rooms look smaller too. However, raspberry tones are gentler and are a great way to bring in this shade. Duchess D’Orleans from Victory Colours’ Harmony Collection is deeply pigmented rouge, pink paint colour that adds a pop of colour and looks good in any room
Earthy, dusty tones are set to rise in popularity throughout the next year, and one of the most popular tones is thought to be dusty pink. This is a blend of beige and burgundy, and can present a subtle, unique addition to any décor palette.
How to add more colour to your décor
With these trends in mind, you might be wondering how you can incorporate more colours into your décor. There are lots of ways that you can bring in new shades: while you might be thinking of completely redecorating either one room or even your whole house, there are also plenty of options for refreshing your palette without overhauling your entire decorating scheme.
- Accent walls: Adding an accent wall by painting one wall in an eye-catching colour can provide a pop of brightness in a more subtle décor scheme.
- Textiles: Textiles such as throws, blankets, new duvet colours, and pillowcases, as well as rugs and carpets, can provide simple additions that can change up your décor easily.
- Ceramics: While redecorating your entire kitchen might be too time-consuming and expensive, you can easily refresh the colour scheme of your kitchen and dining area with some new ceramics. Choose bowls, plates, and other tableware in jewel tones and earthy colours for subtle impact.
- Furniture: Don’t be afraid to choose colourful furniture. Bright pieces can bring some great pops of colour, and painting existing furniture can refresh it. Try painting the inside of bookcases or revarnishing wooden pieces for some bright impact on a low budget.
- Ceilings and floors: Add some unexpected colour by repainting your floor or ceiling. This can be a great way to add some new colour and a twist to your décor.
- Appliances: You might not be used to thinking of appliances as décor features, but having colourful appliances can contribute to your overall colour scheme, so is worth exploring.
Bringing some new colours into your décor can refresh your home and make you feel like spring is really on the way. So, use these tips to find how you can add some trending 2023 tones to your household colour scheme ready for the next year. For more decorating tips and tricks, be sure to take a look at the rest of the Victory Colours blog.